Monday, April 14, 2008

At Last an Update!
Hello to all. Well, we have not forgotten any of you. We have been having the absolute times of our lives!!!!!. So many new firsts and unbelievable experineces. It's been amazing!!!

We have been so busy all I can say is that I have kept up with downloading photos daily to my laptop and putting captions to all of them. We have not had very good luck with the internet though so that is why you have not seen anything from us. I have been trying to upload photos to the blog but have been unsuccessful. I am hoping this text works. I will give you the 5 minute read of our 18 days in Australia.

Tuesday, 3/25 we left Boston got to LA around 11:00pm, flew out on Wednesdaty 3/26 at 11:15pm and arrived in Melbourne, Australia at 8:30am on Friday, 3/28/08. We lost the 27th all together.

Flew to Adelaide and got to our hotel. Basic site seeing although we did head to the beach and caught a little of the Adelaide Australian Opening 2 person volley ball tournament. Very cool right on the beach.

Saturday, 3/29/08 Went to Kangaroo Island and we saw a lot of kangaroos, Wallabees, seals, koala bears and even an achidna! A porcupine type of anteater that are fairly rare here. A great day, beatiful sites and great people

Sunday, 3/30/08 Walked around and looked at the architecture of Adelaide and then we boarded the Ghan train for our 26 hour trip to Alice Springs. Just like being on the Orient Express, a private cabin with a funky bath I can only tell you about in person, white linen table service for all three meals and fantastic sites outside our train window. Emus, wild horses, more kangaroos and the outback! Thrilling, met many cool people from all over the world.

Monday, 3/31/08 Got up at 5:30am to watch the sun rise over the out back. Just breath taking. After lunch and kangaroo meat, we arrived in Alice Springs, walked the town of 24,000 and just enjoyed the mountains and the desert.

Tuesday, 4/1/08 Awoke early and did an all day tour of the West MacDonnel ranges. The best was Roger spotted a wallabee up on the mountain side in Simpsons Gorge and we follwed it's journey down to the dry river basin. He dug and dug and finally got water to drink. I got about 15 feet away for some great photos. I hiked around the rim of a canyon that was fairly high up, yes, I hiked! And, I liked it, who knew! The day was full of new experiences and great fun.

Wednesday, 4/2/08 Got up and walken into to town for some souvenier shopping before we flew to Ayres Rock. Once at Ayres Rock we were in a very hip hotel with the coolest bathroom I have ever had, don't worry I took pictures. We did do "The Sounds of Silence Dinner" that night. It was amazing! The stars we saw were ones I had only seen in books. We saw the big and the little Magellan Galaxies, Orion, half od the zodiac constellations and the most impressive and awesome was the Milky Way! That was truly breathtaking. Had dinner out in the bush with some of the folks we had met on the Ghan train. A night we will never forget. Lots of good Australian Wine too!

Thursday, 4/3/08 Got up at 4:30am to do the sunrise walk around Ayres Rock. It was about 4 miles, very cold, we hiked and carried our own breakfast and ate right on the rock. I saw Aboriginal cave paintings that I got good photos of. The legends, the dream stories/lessons of the Aboriginies are inspiring and most interesting. It was a great hike and I would do it agian in an instant

In the afternoon we wnt out to the Olgas to see the sunset and take a walk in a gorge. It was quite lovely. They serve wine at almost any event here. I like this place!

Friday, 4/4/08 Got up went to a museum in the morning of the outback, Ayres Rock and the Aboriginies who oversee teh park lands. Then we headed off to Cairns for the next portion of our adventure.

I leave it here for today and update the next week or so in a nother day or two. Right now it is cocktail time and afterall we have fresh canapes daily in our suite. Oh I am gong to be trouble to live with when I get back home! Our steward, Mihai, is just charming and he makes the bed, does our laundry and gets us whatever we want when ever we want it. I could get used to this very easily.

Talk to you all soon and we miss everyone but we'll get by! Hope all is well.

Chris & Roger

1 comment:

debra said...

Hi Chris and Roger
So happy to finally hear from you!
You sound like you are loving every minute and that makes me so happy!
I even called Kathy at Distinctive to share with her what you wrote.
Can't wait to see and hear more!
With love,
Debra